The ultimate list of Vietnamese resources – materials and tools to help you learn Vietnamese online.
The list is organised by level and it’s also updated every few months, so keep checking back or subscribe for updates.
Note: This list contains some affiliate links, which means that if you click on the affiliate link and make a purchase, More Vietnamese may receive an affiliate commission which helps to pay for the running costs of this site (at no additional cost to you!). These links are usually marked with a *. In addition, Amazon links should be assumed to be affiliate links.
Where we’ve reviewed or mentioned the resource, we’ve added a link to our review and/or posts with that tag.
General Vietnamese resources
- Unikey for typing Vietnamese (see posts related to typing in Vietnamese)
- Review of websites that automatically add tones and accents
- Vdict.com dictionary (review)
- The Free Vietnamese Dictionary Project
- VNEDICT VN-EN dictionary (search without tones/accents available)
Unfortunately neither of these are very active in these days. If you know of an active forum, send me the link!
Published self-study Vietnamese resources
There are various books and audio courses that you can use to learn Vietnamese independently (ie. without a teacher).
These are usually not free, but can be a worthwhile investment – or sometimes you can find them in a library. If you are in Vietnam, there are many more options in bookshops.
- Pimsleur‘s Vietnamese Comprehensive Level 1 course. Level: beginner. Northern. (Listen to Lesson 1 free here!). See Pimsleur on Amazon.com or take a 7 day free trial*.
- Teach Yourself’s Get Started in Vietnamese book & CD. Level: beginner to elementary. Northern. See Get Started in Vietnamese on Amazon.com
- Mango languages online course (you may be able to access it for free with your library subscription)
- Mondly online. Northern.
- Assimil (in French)‘s Le Vietnamien sans peine. Level: beginner to intermediate. See Assimil on Amazon.com
For beginners who already know the basics
- Teach Yourself’s Complete Vietnamese book & CD. Level: beginner to intermediate. Northern. See Teach Yourself Complete Vietnamese on Amazon.com
- Colloquial Vietnamese – audio available online from the publisher. See Colloquial Vietnamese on Amazon.com
- FSI’s Saigon Vietnamese course from 1967. Beware some vocabulary and grammar is outdated, however this course is free. Southern.
- Updated FSI Vietnamese course – based on the original materials above, but with a modern and usable interface.
- Elementary Vietnamese textbook by Tuttle Publishing (also check out their downloadable audio)
- VietnamesePod101*. While not a complete resource, they now have materials for a range of levels. Northern, last time I checked.
- Glossika is available in both Northern and Southern Vietnamese.
General language resources
- Anki SRS flashcard system (see More Vietnamese posts relating to anki)
- Memrise to help memorise vocabulary
- Drops to help memorise vocabulary
- Duolingo to practice grammar and translation
- Lingodeer to practice grammar and translation
- Ling app
- Lang-8 writing correction community (how to use lang-8 to get corrections)
- RhinoSpike recording community – get and make recordings of any text
- Comprehensive list of (free) language resource links at Fluent in 3 Months
- iTalki* for finding a tutor or language exchange
- Forvo for listening to how words are pronounced
- HelloTalk for messaging/audio language exchanges
Resources to learn Vietnamese online
Resources, lessons and authentic materials to help you practice and learn more Vietnamese online. Unlike the links above, they are not complete courses. They are designed to help you practice more at home, not to completely replace a course book or tutor!
|EveryDayViet.com on youtube||Video lessons||Vocab||Southern|
|VinaVille videos on pronunciation and simple vocab||Video lessons||Vocab, Pronunciation||Southern|
|“How to say…” in Vietnamese||Articles embedded with video||Vocab||Southern|
|Beginner videos by TVO on youtube||Video lessons||Vocab||Northern|
|Survival Phrases – Vietnamese 101||Audio lessons||Vocab||Either|
|120 common words with audio||Vocab list||Vocab|
|Lessons teaching simple phrases and vocab (available in Vietnamese-English, Vietnamese-French, V-Korean, V-Japanese, V- Chinese, V- German, V-Spanish, V-Italian)||Lessons, flashcard games||Vocab|
|Survive in Vietnam with these phrases||Vocab list||Vocab|
- Top reading materials for elementary and intermediate levels
|Learn Vietnamese with Annie on youtube – especially her diaries||Video lessons||Vocab, Grammar, Pronunciation, Listening||Mixed|
|LangHub ‘beginner’ vocab lists, with audio||Vocab list||Vocab||Southern|
|Vietnamese 101 introductory information and vocab lists (basic)||Articles about grammar||Vocab, Grammar|
|Blog about Vietnamese grammar and vocabulary (archive)||Articles about grammar||Grammar, Vocab||Northern|
|‘A Glimpse of Vietnam’ role-play videos||Videos||Listening||Northern|
|Some Level ‘A’ exercises – the readings and listenings are particularly useful||Exercises||Reading, Listening, Grammar, Vocab||Northern|
|Our YouTube playlist for this level||Videos||Listening||Mixed|
|Our YouTube playlist of Vietnamese videos with subtitles and Annie’s playlist||Videos||Listening||Mixed|
|Free vocabulary lists from VPod||Vocab list with audio||Vocabulary|
|Learn Vietnamese with a Saigonese||Blog, videos and paid lessons||All||Southern|
- Top online reading materials for elementary and intermediate levels
|Pre-Intermediate and Intermediate videos by TVO on youtube||Video lessons||Vocab||Northern|
|LangHub ‘intermediate’ vocab lists, with audio||Vocab list||Vocab||Southern|
|Watch Qùa Tặng Cuộc Sống short animations (also on YouTube)||Videos||Listening||Mixed|
|Grammar points taken from authentic materials like cartoons and jokes on Sea Horse Viet||Articles about grammar||Grammar, Vocab||Northern|
|Our YouTube playlist for this level||Videos||Listening||Mixed|
|VietnamesePod101.com‘s ‘advanced’ material (only free for 7 days)||Lessons||Vocab, Listening, Reading (optional)||Northern|
|Advanced video(s) by TVO on youtube||Video lessons||Vocab||Northern|
|Online Vietnamese Reading Program by Arizona State University||Articles||Reading||–|
|Read Truyện cười||Articles||Reading||–|
|Read the story of Hoàng Tử Bé (The Little Prince)||Story||Reading||–|
|Watch TV online here or especially here||TV||Listening||Both|
|Play an online game in Vietnamese (more recommendations here)||Gaming||Reading||–|
|Read newspapers online||Articles||Reading||–|
|Find more authentic materials from blogs, TV shows to forums, all in Vietnamese||Links||Reading, Listening||–|
|Vietnamese Idioms & Slang by Arizona State University||Articles explaining use||Vocab||–|
|List of idioms (with English translation)||List of idioms||Vocab||–|
Resources about learning Vietnamese in languages other than English
A list of anything we find written in other languages about learning Vietnamese online.
- Korean – a learner’s explanation of pronouns
- Polish blog about Vietnam and Vietnamese
- Esperanto video lessons
Vietnamese Grammar Resources
Got a Vietnamese grammar point you want to learn more about?
Here are a selection of Vietnamese grammar articles and videos on common topics:
Adjectives (tính từ)
In Vietnamese (unlike in English), you don’t need to use a verb with adjectives.
- Adjectives Lesson on YouTube
Learn how to use anh, chị, em etc.
- Introduction to Vietnamese: “You” and “I”
- How to say Pronouns: I, You, We, He, She and They in Vietnamese
- 베트남어 – 복잡한 인칭 대명사, 나와 상대간의 나이/성별 관계에 따라 달라짐.
- How to address your teacher
- Vietnamese names, titles and what to call someone
Verbs (động từ) and tenses
- Verbs Lesson on YouTube
- When to use and not use ‘to be’ on YouTube
- Something has just recently happened on YouTube
Is your favourite resource missing?
Please suggest it to us! If you’d also like to review it for us, mention that in your message. 🙂